Saturday, October 13, 2007

My old romper stomper grounds.

So Adam and I got sent on a recruiting trip to BYU so I thought it'd be fun to head out there the weekend before so I could show him some of my old haunts from back in the day. For you Riviera alumni out there, I took him by our old apartment and showed him the luxury of our old digs - the sand volleyball courts, the ghetto parking lot and, my favorite, how you could see Catherine and Sarah's windows all the way from the street. I had such good memories flooding to my mind as we went by there. For some reason I couldn't get the idea of being at Denny's at 2am during finals week and playing clue until all hours of the night out of my head. Ah, the good old days. Amy was kind enough to let us have 2 of her football tickets so we got to go the game with her and Suz. It was awesomes. BYU actually beat the University of Arizona and, although it was a bazillion degrees as you can see in the photo, we had so much fun. It was Adam's first time in LaVelle Edwards Stadium and even though we couldn't quite convince him to Rise and Shout, I think we're wearing him down. Maybe next time he'll do it. Also, Ty Detmer and Gifford Neilson had their jerseys retired that day. Detmer was always one of Adam's favorite players so that made it even more fun for him.
Then, Suz (who was kind enough to let us stay at hotel Doll) had a dinner party on Sunday which was just perfect for all of us to catch up with one another. Some of my favorite people in the world (Marisa, my sister Courtney, Kathy, Natalie and Suzi) were there and it felt like old times. All of us girls around a table laughing and talking and just enjoying some good quality girl time. Oh, and did I mention Adam was there? Im pretty sure it was his favorite part of the weekend. What husband in America wouldn't LOVE to spend like 4 hours in the company of his wife with 5 of her closest friends complaining about dating and boys and why it all has to be so weird? I mean, I'm pretty sure that he'll be in therapy soon for what he had to hear that night but he's a resiliant kid. He'll get over it...I think. Actually, he had a great time too (although he'll deny it if you ask him). We all had some good laughs and really enjoyed the time together. Thanks Suz. You're the greatest.
On Monday we went to do some sight seeing in Salt Lake City. Suz was a good sport and came along as did our other good friend Adam Findley. We took a tour of the conference center roof and building. It is an amazing structure. I 'd been there for conference but never for the tour. it's just so awesome. The church thinks of everything, I swear. From logistics to architecture to aesthetics. Those old dudes are amazing!
We also took a stroll around temple square and came across this pioneer cabin. It's only 300 square feet and like 4 people lived in it. YIKES. Then we cruised over by the Lion house and the Beehive house. I swear, I must have been to SLC a thousand times and I could go a thousand more. I can't get sick of that place.
And finally, the luckiest part of all was that our trip coincided with my Mom's trip up to help move Courtney in to her place. Ever the boy scout, Adam made sure he made plenty of time to help them carry the heavy boxes up the stairs to Courtney's place and move the big stuff around for her which left me time visit with my mom and Courtney. Here's him in action. Meanwhile, I had the greatest time ever. Thanks everyone for rearranging your schedules so we could spend some time with you guys. We hope you get sent to Dallas on business (or pleasure) sometime soon so that we can return the favor. I'm happy to report that the hotel Braun is now up and running and you're all welcome to come. The more the merrier!


5 comments:

Doug said...

SLC - it's a great place. Lois & I got engaged at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. And about Adam being the boy scout - he did that because that's just who he is. He's one of the rare, genuinely nice guys left in the world. The world would be truely blessed if there were more Adam Braun's in it.

Sarah said...

Ahh...the memories! I swear every time we drive by the Riv I point out my window to Jon and then he acts as if he cares! I've never actually taken him on a tour of the place, though. Great idea! We were just talking yesterday about how fun it would be to go to Provo for the weekend sans kids and go to a football game, eat at all of our favorite food joints, and walk around temple square! Looks like you guys beat us to it. I'm glad you had a great time!

Adam said...

Doug, thanks so much for the kind words. I think you know a thing or two about being a good person. You and Lois are welcome at the Braun's anytime.

cat said...

oh provo....oh the riviera... sounds like fun. we haven't been back there in forever. it would be such a fun trip. #91, it doesn't get better than that!:)

Auntie Lolo said...

When did you go to Utah? Did I miss something while I was in Florida?? I am SO confused.....help.