Monday, October 8, 2007

Big D

Ok, seriously, Dallas is crazy. It's a great place, but it's crazy. Tonight is a Monday Night Football game featuring the Dallas Cowboys. Guess how many people at work today have plans to watch it. Yeah, try EVERYBODY. My 60+ something secretary has plans to watch it. And these people don't just "plan" to watch it. They have all out plans--like going to friends' houses and making nachos and stuff. They spend all week planning game-watching parties. And they all have Cowboys gear. Yes, even the 60+ secretary has gear. When did "mature women" ever start buying gear? I would seriosuly hate to be at one of these parties, too, when the Cowboys eventually lose. Material possessions will be surely damaged. Hide the pets and little children...

And during non-football seasons (February-August), all anyone talks about is Dallas Cowboy football. It's insane. And don't ever make the mistake of reminding them that their glory days in the 90s consisted of hard-core felons who cheated in every way possible. The locals don't like that talk...

I should have expected as much from the town that boldly (and a little pridefully) nicknamed their Cowboys, "America's Team." Any other Americans insulted? Or just me? ;)

12 comments:

Tamara said...

Me. Oooh ooh, pick me! I am. I'm insulted. But don't get me started on the reasons why I'm insulted. Bless their hearts, every single last one of them, they are nothing but a bunch of Kook Shows. (For all you novices out there, here in the South you're allowed to say anything about anybody and it's not gossip if you preface it with "bless [their] heart.")

Auntie Lolo said...

Yes Tamara, you are right!! You can say anything about anyone with a "Bless their heart" thrown in. It's great!!

And Adam, I am totally with you on the Cowboys thing. Why do you think we have a bathroom dedicated to Texas?? It's because Texans are so into themselves that they sell freaking Texas State Flag Shower Curtains!! FOR THE LOVE!! Get ahold of yourselves people!! I promise you they don't make Florida Shower Curtains, or Georgia Shower Curtains or how about Illinois Shower Curtains, ever seen one of those? I DON'T THINK SO!!

drfindley said...

Actually I've heard worse (though about the cowboys.)
[terrible quote]
Do you know why there's a hole in the Cowboys' Stadium?
So God can watch his team play.
[/terrible quote]

Who, you say, who would have the nerve to suggest such a thing? Look no further than Lee Savoie. He's lucky I've got thick skin.

Stephanie said...

I laughed so hard... that is SO true! (The "Bless their hearts..." part.) Don't cha just love Texas?!

Stephanie said...

I just have to say... Lois is hilarious! I love the comments!

Adam said...

Man, Findley, that is bad. These Dallas-ites should have learned from the last 10+ years of losing...

Molly said...

So, you're telling me that my Dallas Cowboys "bedroom ensemble" is in bad taste?

Adam said...

I actually like their colors...

Tamara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara said...

Yes Molly. And if you don't want Lois, Steph and I to make use of the toilet paper she bought to use on the Bishop's house and TP your house with it instead, you will remove the cowboys paraphenalia at once...

Step away from the Lone Star love.

As a P.S. was anyone else annoyed as all get out that they still won last night? 5 interceptions later and the Bills still managed to hand them a game winning 52 yard field goal...TWICE! Good grief, as if the Cowboys' egoes weren't big enough already. Heaven help us all.

Molly said...

I heart Butterfingers Romo. At least he stepped up to the plate...I'm sure TO's errors were everyone else's fault.

Molly said...

I heart Butterfingers Romo. At least he stepped up to the plate...I'm sure TO's errors were everyone else's fault.