Thursday, October 25, 2007

Go Tamara, it's your birthday...

So, Saturday was my birthday and you all get to relive it with me! First off, I started out before it was even my birthday with a present...Marisa was in town and she was ditched her cushy digs at a 5 star hotel to be our first guest here at Hotel Braun. The three of us started off the day by heading to the Texas State Fair. I'd never been to a State Fair so Marisa and Adam were kind enough to humor me. Here's proof: So first I wanted to go see the animals. I'd seen my nephew's photos when he went to the state fair with the Cub Scouts and ...well...if it's good enough for the Cub Scouts, it's good enough for me! Here I am with my buddy, the Giraffe. (Please no comments on my puffy hair. It's Texas. It's humid, and it was my birthday. I don't have to straighten it if I don't want to!) I also saw little dude who was a baby goat or deer or something that would grow up to be a big-ish mammal. I got to pet a sheep with a buzz and I had a very lovely moment with an itty bitty piggy. Marisa and Adam were at least somewhat entertained by the fact that I had to ask them what most of the animals were before I petted them because I at least wanted to know what species I was touching.

Not this little fella, though. I knew right of that this dude was a cow. Or a bull, I guess, since he has horns. He was awesomely large and he mooed super loud. Other highlights include an 1,100 pound swine, a llama with a full fledged mullet (Al Paca, actually) and an ostrich who, in it's haste to eat the sunflower seeds out of the petting zoo attendant's plastic cup, finally pecked the cup out of the lady's hand and then swallowed the entire thing! We got to watch it shimmy down it's long skinny throat. Is it wrong that I was pretty entertained? Oh sure, i was worried at first but the worker guy told us that it happens a lot... so then it was just funny.
And here are the good sports out in front of "Big Tex," our host for the day at the fair. He even talks. And yes...for those who were wondering, Big Tex's jeans are Wranglers if you must know.
And here is why Adam gets "Husband of the Year." (Please note that this all occured just a day after "the Spill" so extra points were awarded for putting the wife's psychosis behind him on her birthday despite its close proximity to the incident.) So, we got finished with the fair and I thought we were just going to have a quiet evening at home watching the game. The doorbell rang and Adam went and got it. Suddenly, some of my favorite peeps just started coming on in the door. Yay for throwing me a surprise party. I LOVE SURPRISES! I couldn't have been happier. I spent the day in the company of good friends and on the phone with family and friends and the evening stuffing my face full of delectable treats!
Here are some of my favorite party girls.
And my GFBF (Gluten Free Best Friend) Lois. (You'll recognize her by the incredible amount of Florida Gator gear she's wearing...her team won that day.) She is such a doll. She baked a double layer chocolate cake with cream cheese icing and fresh strawberries and drizzled with what? Oh, ANOTHER LAYER OF CHOCOLATE. Sweet nectar of goodness. Oh, did I mention it was all gluten free? And it tasted SO divine. We had a ton of fun. Hung out, played games, chased the kiddos and laughed our crazy heads off. Does it get better than that?

And, despite their best efforts, my UCLA Bruins even managed to eek out a win. Can you imagine a more blissful day? The weather was perfect. I had perfect company and decadent food. I got to see things I'd never seen before and do it with people I love. Thanks everyone for such a perfect day. Oh, and thanks to Adam who rummaged through the garage for my camera cord to upload pictures. Stay tuned. More pictures coming soon...whether you like it or not!

10 comments:

Auntie Lolo said...

I must meet that fabulous Lois creature you described. She sounds like a doll!! And can I just say, "GO GATORS" ??

Oh and in addition to you needing to beg for my forgiveness for not telling me when your birthday was, you are now going to have to repent for that HORRIBLE picture of me you just posted on your blog. I LOOK LIKE A GIANT WHO HAS COME TO EAT YOUR CAKE. I never noticed there was such a height difference before. Wow. We will sit from now on when we photograph together.

Molly said...

It looks like you had a wonderful birthday - I didn't even know it was coming up! I feel terrible, so I will make up for it soon.

Consider yourself warned. Muahahahaha!!

Tamara said...

Molly, please do not even entertain such thoughts.

We've got to save our energy to party like it's 1999 at your shower!!!

Auntie Lolo said...

Molly, she didn't tell ANYONE about her birthday. She's a HUSSY that way.

Doug said...

I noticed that you "conveniently" omitted the fact that at "Squabble Scene It" the boys once again rocked your world!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Tammy! I had it written on my calendar and everything so that I wouldn't forget, and what did I do? I forgot. I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. I'm glad that you had a great day! Adam is so cute for throwing you a surprise party and Lois is so nice for making you that gluten free cake! I must say that the Big Tex guy at the fair is just plain scary- I'm really hoping you were kidding about the talking part!

Tamara said...

Sadly, Seh, I'm not kidding. He does talk. It's a little freaky. Also freaky is the fact that his clothes have to be dry cleaned. Psycho! Anyway, the good news is Adam and I have convinced ourselves that most of the craziness that is Texas is not real. It's just for show. That's at least what we tell ourselves to keep us from going crazy in the midst of all of this Texas pride.

Unknown said...

Adam, you get negative points for not telling Tamara that lady cows sometimes have horns too.

Adam said...

Lars, I'll hang my head in shame. According to your roomie Alex, that makes me pretty deep in the red. I'm still getting negative points for halting my Berry Punch consumption and my MarioKart addiction...

Marisa said...

I have to say that staying at Hotel Braun was fabulous! I love their house!! And what a treat to get to spend time with Tamara on her birthday! And friends, it was also a treat to watch a Cali girl at the State Fair of Texas... :-) Love ya!