Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Thank You, Good Samaritan



Yesterday was quite the day. If I told you, you wouldn't believe me and you'd just think I was making it up so let's just say it was not my favorite day and leave it at that. At the end of the fiasco that was Tuesday, I walked in about the time Adam got home from work and was madly recounting the minutia and gesticulating wildly when the doorbell rang. Nobody rings our doorbell. Adam went and opened the door to find a wonderful little lady about my mom's age. She said "is this the Braun house?" Adam affirmed that it was. She held out my wallet and said "I found this in a cart in the grocery store parking lot." She smiled. We thanked her profusely and offered her any number of rewards. She refused, acting as though we were family or something and that it would be absurd to think we owed her something for her kindness, and she laughed and strolled down the walk to her car.

Please note that I had not just run to our corner grocery store. This was a grocery store several miles away that I had swung by to pick up one thing while I was in the neighboring city running a mazillion errands. My fair Good Samaritan drove some 9 miles out of her way to my house to drop off my silly little wallet. Before I had even realized I'd lost it! So thank you, Mrs. Good Samaritan. Thanks for reaffirming my belief that people are genuinely good. Thanks for being all that is good and right about human kind. And thanks to the Giver of all blessings for yet another blessing I didn't deserve.

7 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

Sorry about your sucky day. Glad it ended with a kind act.

Carrie L said...

Wow! That would never happen here! Guess we can chalk one up for thinking about moving to Texas!

Marisa said...

That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. So glad that you had a happy ending to your awful day!

Alan said...

Wow!! When I lost my wallet, the only thing that I got was over $5000 on my credit card and some deaf guy on my doorstep a week later, holding the rest of my wallet contents and demanding money from me for finding the stuff- the credit card and my nice Kenneth Cole wallet that all the stuff was in had somehow mysteriously disappeared, but he managed to find all the rest of my stuff together somewhere (no I did not give him any money). It's nice to know that there are still good people out there in the world.

marcus said...

Don't you love Texans? By the way, Tamara, I may actually need to take you up on your offer (things are getting pretty crazy around here) so then you won't have to be offended anymore. :) It can be your karmic payback to the universe for the wallet.

Blacker Blog said...

And to start off you horrible day, you had to walk with me! I can see why everything is so awful. That is amazing! It just goes to show you that when you return a young child to her parents, your wallet gets returned to you.

Peter Kosednar said...

I once left my drivers license at the post office --- a few days later someone sent it to me in the mail!