Sunday, December 2, 2007

Feliz Navidad!

There's something about the holidays that just brings families together. Who can look upon this sweet little manger scene and not feel a warmth and love toward all of their brothers, indeed, toward all mankind. Oh I know...that'd be me and if you look closer, I think you might understand why. Click on this picture below and you'll find that this peaceful manger scene is ruined by 2 things. 1) I was Mary and my brother Dale was Joseph (which I'm pretty sure is just blaspheme for any number of reasons) and 2) your eyes are not playing tricks on you. My brother is, in fact, sticking his tongue out at me. But other than that...it's all quite festive, wouldn't you say?
For those of you out of towners, each of the stakes in the Dallas area does a Christmas Nativity exhibit and all members are invited to lend their nativies to the stake for display for about a week at the beginning of the Christmas season. We then invite friends and co workers of other faiths to come into our church buildings that week and enjoy the exhibit displaying the hundreds of nativities from all over the world (and one live nativity which is what Dale and I were doing in those get ups). Children's choirs (usually primary kids) sing softly in the background. Adults volunteer to host the event and answer any questions that may come up. I'll be honest. When I first heard about it, I thought it was a snitch cheesy of an idea but being there last night definitely changed my mind. I saw wonder and awe in the eyes of so many people as they wandered around and became aware of what our church really is about, that we do celebrate Christmas and the wonder of Christ's birth.
After our shift was over, I took a lap around the exhibit myself and felt the most amazing peaceful feeling. I was most impressed by the nativities from countries far away and the way that each nationality had fashioned the figures in the nativity to look and dress the way people of that nationality would dress. It made me remember and feel joy that the good news of Christ's birth is true and real and relevant in any language and in any country and that the gospel that Jesus Christ brought is for all of us. And that really did fill me with a sense of good will toward my fellow man...even Dale. So much so that I was even able to sit reverently for this picture. Merry Christmas everyone!

4 comments:

Auntie Lolo said...

I am so glad you got to go to the nativity this year and even more, be a part of it. It makes my Christmas and now I can't imagine Christmas without it. It's also the place that I feel the spirit strongest the entire year. That's why I volunteered to host. I got to spend 2 hours with all those wonderful nativities. Even the live ones....

Molly said...

You look so cute! And don't sweat it - I'm pretty sure Mary and Joseph were at least...cousins...

Doug said...

Love the picture of "Joseph" sticking his tounge at "Mary". I'm sure it was historically accurate. Might copy and paste it and then get a huge 14" x 11" to hnag in our living room of it.

critts said...

Love it! We were Mary & Joseph last year and at first I thought it was going to be really cheesy but then we went and found out the nativities are amazing. I can't believe how much work goes in to putting this production on but it sure is worth it!