Friday, January 25, 2008

The Joker Slays the King.


So says SI this morning. And I couldn't be happier.
It's winding up to the end of the Australian Open, a tennis tournament to which Adam and I are particularly partial for various reasons. We love tennis. We've both played a lot of tennis in our day. Adam even coached a high school team. And it's one of a handful of sports that we both love equally and so we watch and watch and watch and never tire. We just love it and this tournament has a lot of good memories for us. Fortunately, we align on our style of tennis so we mostly like the same players, men and women.
Here's the Man of the Hour. His name is Djokovic. He's Serbian, he's 20 and he's not the favorite in this tournament. He's nicknamed the Joker b/c he's got a bit of a sassy personality on the court, kind of goofy sometimes.
So anyway because of the time difference between here and Australia, the match was on at 2:30 this morning. Adam and I set the alarm and got up to watch it b/c we may or may not be junkies. Here's the great part. Last night (or in the wee hours of the morning) this kid knocked of a veritable legend, a two time champion at this very tournament to earn a bid in the finals. I love me a good underdog! I'm so excited. Finals for the women tonight a 8:30. The men's final is tomorrow. If you need us, you'll know where to find us. LONG LIVE THE JOKER!

5 comments:

Adam said...

All hail The Joker!!

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Auntie Lolo said...

Wow, I have to say I can't think of many things that would motivate me enough to get up at 2:30 AM. My friend Kara came through town at 3:00 AM last week and I got up for that. But really, I can't think of anything else that would pry me out of the bed. I love the Braun's because they are so passionate!!(and sleep deprived....)

Doug said...

This just in . . . The Joker really is the the KING!!!

Tamara said...

Doug,
I did see the Sharipova and Nadal impersonations that he did. I loved them. He is a riot. Good thing he made tha last match worth getting up for.