Saturday, January 5, 2008

Christmas Eve Day at Carthage.

On Christmas Eve Day, my MIL and SIL planned an awesome field trip for us out of town visitors. We packed up the car early in the morning and made the trek through the frozen corn fields of Illinois (which were beautiful, pristine and serene, by the way) all the way to Carthage Jail. Here Adam, Jessi and I are out in front of the visitor's center where there is an amazing monument to Hyrum and Joseph. We met the sweetest little couple missionaries who told us all kinds of neat facts and were so hospitable, even on an inhospitably cold day. One of the ladies was even wearing one of those decorative Christmas sweaters that either calls to mind your grandma or your third grade teacher, but either way it's endearing. She came out and asked if we'd like pictures taken even before we'd ever gotten to the visitor's center door! And then, in her little flats, she hoofed it out into the snow to stand far enough back that she could get us all in the picture. I was dying outside and she wasn't even wearing a coat so she had to be frozen solid! (The good news is I never get to bust out all of my cute warm coats in Dallas so we'll call a few days of cold weather a plus.)
I didn't know what to expect from our tour. I thought it would be really somber and sad. It wasn't that way at all...at least not for me. It was just as you would think Joseph would have wanted it. The building was without pretention or majesty. But inside, there was a feeling of triumph. Of a man whose spirit was inconquerable. A man who did what he had to do in a cause that he recognized was much bigger than he...a cause that would go on and fluorish long after his opportunity to participate in it was over. I'm so glad I went. Thanks Mama Braun and Jessi!

8 comments:

drfindley said...

It's a shame that you don't live in colder weather, because I gotta say, that's a pretty sweet jacket. Who knew Californians had jackets? Especially the kind that makes the corn-fed jealous!

Sarah said...

I would love to go and do a church history tour someday. I can only imagine how strong the spirit must be at all of those places. I'm glad that you had a good time and I must say that you look fabulous, Tammy!!!

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...

Carthage is amazing - I sat in the window where he fell out and I will remember that experience for the rest of my life. You can't help but walk away from a place like that and feel like Joseph Smith is now your friend.

MaryClaire Brown said...

sounds like a great christmas eve. what a way to help you focus on the true meaning of christmas. the new look to your blog is really cute...but, it's kind of hard to read on that background.

Stephanie said...

That's one place I would love to visit. One of our goals is planning a family vacation where we can travel and visit all those special spots.

while looking at the pictures, I too noticed that jacket. In fact, that was the first thing I noticed before I realized where you guys were at. It's gorgeous!

Auntie Lolo said...

Yes, I would like to agree with everyone else when I say that the jacket is rocking my world. And way to be fashionable and gorgeous in the winter weather. I look like a marshmellow when I go out in cold weather, so way to go!!

And I am super jealous that you got to go to carthage!! I have always wanted to go, thanks for sharing the pictures and the experience so it feels like I got a sneak peek...

Unknown said...

Yes, I sat in the window he fell out too, on my first-ever visit there. For me it was a bit sobering, but I'm not sure I could really explain it. Maybe it's a feeling of being a spectator to something so much larger than myself it's a little intimidating.

And... um... nice jacket, Tammy...