Monday, January 28, 2008

A candle goes out.

I was in the kitchen last night and I heard Adam gasp. My heart sank and I asked him what had happened. When he told me we'd lost President Hinckley, I really did feel like my blood ran cold for a minute. We read some of the articles about him and then just talked about the way he had touched our lives. Adam called home and so did I. It seems like that's what you do when someone close to you passes away...and that's when I realized what an amazing man President Hinckley was if only for the way that he made Adam and I (and likely everyone who heard his voice) feel close to him because of the way he carried himself.

I think I'll miss his wit most. That and his optimism. My dad was saying last night that every now and then the world gives him reason to feel pretty overwhelmed or sad. Things like terrorism or the economy. But every time he heard President Hinckley, he realized that a man who can see a great distance beyond where we can see gave us every reason to be optimistic about the future and that put a lot of minds at ease, I'm sure.

Even above the service that he gave to millions of people the world over for decades and decades of his life, I feel like he served me just by being alive. I always felt happier after any occasion I had to see him. I felt uplifted and with new resolve and energy to try a little harder because he asked me to and I felt empowered to accomplish new tasks because he believed we are all capable of that. What a gift we were given to have him in our lives for as long as we did. How rare are those souls who actually brighten the world just by living in it.

What about you? What will you miss most? Do you have favorite President Hinckley memories?

9 comments:

Emili said...

I couldn't agree with you more! My Dad called me last night to tell me the news and it made me so sad! I have felt for a while now that he was ready to go and could leave at any time. I feel comforted in the thought that he's probably young and running around with his adorable wife so happy because he worked to the last second.

My favorite President Hinckley memorywould have to be listening to him speak at BYU and singing "We Thank Thee Oh God fo a Prophet" as he walked in. Then of course, as he would leave her would turn and wave to different parts of the Marriott Center and whichever part he would wave to, the whole section of 10s of thousands would wave back to him. He was such an amazing man and I will never forget the Spirit that wuld come the instant he spoke.

Adam said...

No man has done more for this world (i.e. inspired more people) in my lifetime.

Laura Jorgenson said...

I love what you said. Very sad. We've had a huge, bad storm since last night and I feel like the earth is even mourning his loss.

My favorite memories are just his constant optimism. No matter how bad things seemed, he always had something good to say. I also can't think of a better example of truly enduring to the end. I've never seen anyone work so hard and tirelessly as he did. What an amazing man. He will definitely be missed.

Auntie Lolo said...

I will miss his smile. We have this picture of him in our home that makes me smile everytime I look at it. How can a man with that much power be so cute at the same time?

I wanted him for a grandpa. He seems like the type that would put him arm around you and tell you all the great things about yourself.

My favorite memory of him is from when he was a considered a "younger" member of the 1st presidency. President Hunter was our prophet and was dedicating the Orlando Temple. It was a huge deal for Florida to get a temple, and my mom saved and sacrified so that we could make the 8 hour drive to the dedication. After the dedication was done, we were one of the last to exit the room and right in front of us, walking towards us, were Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Monson holding up Pres. Hunter so that he could walk. No one else in the hall. Just us and the 1st Presidency. We didn't go up and shake their hands, we didn't do anything but stand there and stare with tears streaming down our faces. The spirit was so unbelievably strong that even though it was about 15 years ago, I still remember exactly how it felt. The thing that touched me the most about that scene was the care and patience that Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Monson took so that Pres. Hunter could try and walk.

Becky said...

I loved his optimism and his way of making us all try a bit harder no matter what level we are at. Not to mention he certainly did a lot for temple work which as a former ordinance worker I really appreciate. I think of all the eternal families that were sealed during his presidency. Not to mention my own marriage.

Molly said...

I will miss that I always felt like a good person in his eyes - he truly emulated the Savior to me.

Greg and Tammy said...

Well said Tamara. So much power and strength in such a humble and slight body. I'm anxious for the funeral on Saturday as I think it will provide some closure I am desperately seeking.

Katie L. said...

Hey, I don't visit your blog much, but someday I'm going to call you at work and make you teach me how to make mine cute and add music. Loving the Dee showing out in you from your Valentines decor!

How are things in Dallas? I'm thinking I should come out, it's freezing here right now!

Unknown said...

I remember how unassuming he was. He got so embarrassed from Elder Nelson's conference talk about him that he challenged Elder Nelson to a duel. And then apologized. He got upset about how much his biography focused on how awesome he is/was and chewed out Shari Dew for how sick he was of "reading about me." It almost seems strange that this is the same guy that has put himself out on national television so many times, and yet, he was the perfect one for the job.