Sunday, April 6, 2008

I may have found a new reason to live...

Thank so the Cub Scouts, my nephew Brandon needed to get his Outdoor Cooking merit badge. You know what that means... Uncle Adam at his best. I mean, if ever there were a skill that this man had mastered, it's the grill. So, here's Adam teaching the kiddo how to construct the perfect burger. Brandon is obviously reveling in his new found "man skill..."
I managed to cruise outside to the garage right in time to catch the tail end of Adam teaching Brandon "Grill Safety 101." My personal favorite part was the discussion of the explosive properties of several different types of gases when exposed to flame. I really couldn't follow the conversation...too much chemical reaction discussion for my simple mind but the take home message was definitely obvious: BOY SCOUTS, YOUNG AND OLD, LOVE FIRE AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT!
Here's Brando eating the fruits of his labor. I personally partook and I have to say, let's hear it for the Boy Scouts organization that gives Adam a great excuse to get out to the grill and me an excuse to partake in the goodness. You guys, the food was just too good. These boys are culinary geniuses. And is it just me or does the smell of a barbecue just seem to sound the alarm that, at long last, winter really will surrender to sunshine and long warm weekends? Summertime, how I love you!

16 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

OHHHHH. These photos are precious. I'm looking forward to the day Adam graces me with his outdoor chef-ing skills.

Auntie Lolo said...

That's so cute that Adam taught him how to grill!! I bet Brandon loved every minute of it.

Rhia Jean said...

The smell of the grill is one of those smells that is pleasing as it wafts by, yet not something you want filling your home. I was so so so so happy the other day when I was driving with the windows down and smelled the scent of the grill. *sigh* I love summer!

Carrie L said...

Oh please, Adam, grace us with your burger skills. Yesterday our hamburgers turned to sloppy joes (just like they always do.) Help!

Adam said...

Carrie, first week in June. Mark it down!

Emili said...

We don't even own a grill! Of course, I have all the tools for indoor grilling, but I know it's not nearly as yummy. Any tips for what type of grill I should surprise Dallon with on Father's day? I know I have a little time, and I'm not positive I'll be that daring, but I wouldn't even know where to start when grill shopping. :)

Becky said...

What a good uncle. I am also totally excited for grill season. We grilled yesterday for Sunday dinner. It was great but we prefer the old fashioned kind. Charcoals and lighter fluid. It is my favorite way to cook. Well, mostly cuz Brian cooks and I eat. And it tastes great.

rebecca said...

cute! adam is going to be such a great dad. i don't even eat hamburgers and i still love the smell of barbecue.

Greg and Tammy said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the baby girl news!! They are sooo much fun! Time to double your shopping budget. Work a few more weeks to get in every last paycheck so you can blow it on more baby clothes. And man, those burgers sound great. Can we come to your place this weekend so Adam can grill us up some burger yumminess?

Stephanie said...

I learned something from Adam's grilling skills that I never heard of, (Adam passed it on to Dale and Dale to me)... anyway, did you know that you're supposed to push down the middle of the hamburger patties because as they cook, the middle rises and if you do that then the burgers will come out nice and even. I seriously never knew that. Anyway, I know it meant a lot to Brandon to have that time with his Uncle, so thanks Adam! Great pics by the way.

Shay said...

first off...holy crapola! i am so glad that you blog hop just like i do! how lucky are we...and second


A BABY?? whoo hoo! I'm so happy to see you on the world wide blog-o-sphere!

and lastly. how do you get sooo many people to comment...like on each entry! amazing

mandy said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is Mandy El Halta(Heath). I was reading Shay's blog and saw your comment. Crazy!! How are you? Congrats on the baby girl!! My husband would be jealous. We have 2 boys and he would love to have girl(I'm all for boys!!:)

Alex T. Valencic said...

There's a grilling season? Adam, does this mean you don't break out the grill in the dead of winter like in the old days???

On a completely unrelated noted, although it has just started, Gretch and I created a blog.. alexandgretch.blogspot.com

THE RUSHFORTHS said...

Hey Tammy, how did you get your blog to look so cool?

Celeste

Adam said...

Yet another way in which you put me to shame-your absolutely superior-in-every-way grilling skills. We need to get together some time so I can learn how to grill better and feel like a more adequate man. :-)

Crystal said...

I don't think I've seen any belly pictures yet!!! :-)